Sunday, July 17, 2011

Blog post #6 Anotated Bibliography

Burk, James. "The Military Obligation of Citizens since Vietnam." Parameters 31.2 (2001):   
48,48-60. ProQuest Research Library. Web. 18 July 2011.

I'm using this document in support of my argument that having soldiers that have been drafted fighting on foriegn soil is inefficient because they don't want to be there.  I use this source to provide a conversation between two soldiers while in Vietnam.  Their commnding officer is mad at them for wearing peace signs while in battle.  The two soliers state how they don't want to be there and how they are only there because they have to be.  This falls right in line with the section of O'Brien's "Rainy River" story, of how Tim was trying to find a way out of the draft and contemplated running away to Canada.

Varon, Jeremy. "Defying the Draft." Reviews in American History 32.4 (2004): 573,573-579.
             ProQuest Research Library. Web. 17 July 2011.

           
             I'm using this resource as proof that men burned thier draft cards in public in protest of the draft.  I only use one short line that shows how the anti-draft movement began.


"Vietnam War." Encyclopedia Britannica. Encyclopedia Britannica Online. Encyclopedia
            Britannica, 2011. Web. 17 Jul. 2011.


            This was my most useful resource.  From it I found out more than 3,000,000 people, including

 58,000 american were killed during vietnam.  More than half of them civilians. From this encyclopedia I

took a lot of new information about the war in vietnam and details of the military draft.  This one one of the most photographed wars and a lot of the photos have a negative message.   Here is a link to the conscription in the US wikipedia page.  It explains the process it took to eventually have the draft removed from practice.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Stephen,

    Your blog post was pretty well done. You gave good explanations of why or what info. you are using from your sources for your paper. However, you need to watch the capitalization (America, Vietnam, etc.) and grammar errors (you have “one one” on the last entry). If you utilize the spell and grammar check feature on your word processing program, it should catch most of these. Also, on the second source, there is only an explanation – no summary, and the annotations should be single-spaced as per our instructions:

    “Each of your annotations should include the MLA citation (double-spaced) and then a detailed annotation (single-spaced)...”

    Over all, I think you did a very good job. I don't know about you, but the spacing I have on my document does not always copy and paste over correctly to the blog. I don't know if that's what happened, but you may want to double check that in the future. Very nicely done, there's not much I would change. The photo wasn't required, but was a nice touch. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is interesting, I didn't even think about using documents as a research method! I never even knew that the men would burn they cards in protest of the war, that was news to me. Very amazing to hear that. I love reading these posts because I always learn very interesting things! I may have to look at that source for a possible source for some of my info as well. I didn't even think about using that! I bet your paper is going to be great!

    ReplyDelete